■ DJ Tips
Pirate Residency Is Back & Bigger For Summer
Face an industry panel and public vote to win free studio time, headphones from AIAIAI, industry mentoring & more.
Pirate recently surveyed 250 creatives, asking what they see as the biggest barrier to becoming a professional artist. The findings have inspired a new round of Pirate’s Residency scheme, which aims to provide support to grassroots artists in the areas identified.
Asked about the biggest barriers to becoming a professional artist, 35% of respondents said they’d most like to receive support with self-promotion/marketing. Other popular answers were gig opportunities (31%), mentorship (13%), studio access (11%), technical workshops (7%) and equipment (3%).
DJs, producers and live acts are invited to apply for the next round of Pirate Residency from the 27th of July.
As well as a month of free access to Pirate’s DJ studios, recording studios and rehearsal studios, up to 10 artists will receive marketing and press support from Pirate including radio play on Reprezent Radio, 1-1 industry mentoring, a live discussion with Jamz Supernova, equipment from AIAIAI and Logitech For Creators, and much more.
The full prize package includes:
- Feature on Reprezent Radio
- 4 weeks worth of studio time at Pirate
- TMA-2 DJ headphones from AIAIAI
- Blue Ember XLR Mic from Logitech For Creators
- One of three online courses from Point Blank Music School
- 1-year Loopcloud Professional annual subscription and a package of Loopmasters + Plugin Boutique plugins
- 1-1 industry mentoring from Katty Lange
- Masterclass with Clockwork DJ
- 3 months free access to Ditto Music
Only 7% of artists surveyed felt there were enough funding and development opportunities available, so Pirate Residency will continue throughout 2022 with a new focus and new industry partners each month.